Saturday, January 23, 2010

Surprises

In every major city some thing’s are the same, like traffic. But some thing’s about life are so distinctively Freetown, like baby carriages. They have no babies in them. The babies are tied on for the ride with a piece of beautiful cloth. Carriages are used to push coolers and various other things around. Ironing makes the list too. I never expected to come to Sierra Leone and hone my domestic skills by ironing my underwear, and yes Liza, sheets too. This is done not out of an obsessive, compulsive desire for wrinkle-free belongings but because when clothes are drying flies often lay eggs in them. The heat from the iron kills the eggs, thus thankfully no hatching critters in my undies. Street vendors are another surprise. Their ubiquitous presence I expected, but their complete disinterest and almost exasperation at taking too much time to decide which eggplant (yes, we do have some vegetables!!) flabbergasted me.

2 comments:

  1. Bugs in your undies, OMG! I know you used to have ants in your pants but this sounds much worse! Love you Sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah sheet ironing! And to think you made it through your adult life in Boston without ever having to iron....

    ReplyDelete