Saturday, January 23, 2010

A little glimpse of my world...


The flower is just a pretty, purple thing that Stephen is going to tell us about:)

4,000 Leones=$1. West Africa is notorious for being expensive, Sierra Leone is no exception. So I end up carrying a large wad of these bills just to buy some groceries.

This market is a small one maybe 50 yards from our gate. Alive, fried and smoked fish covered in flies are everywhere, some rice in bags, various vegetable at different stages of decomposition and your random household needs from pipes to toilet seats can be found.

The is one of about a million stalls that line the street selling odds and ends.

The picture with the barb wire (most people, except the very poor, live behind wire and walls) was taken from my window this morning. During the week, the street is packed and full of life.

3 comments:

  1. The plant is a Tradescantia (often called a spiderwort). I will leave it up to you to see if that answer was pulled out of nowhere or is somewhat correct...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me remember my trips to Africa... looks very similar

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fascinating - loving this blog Becca!

    ReplyDelete