Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FGM and braces

I completed my first training on child development. Models and theories are based on western standards and are not necessarily comparable here, so my approach was to introduce concepts of age (biological, social, psychological, cultural and spiritual) and have them come up with developmental tasks and time lines. This was very successful and led to, among other things, a fascinating discussion of, well more accurately around, “initiation” or female genital mutilation (FGM).

Some background on FGM:
• Type: Both type I (removal of the prepuce of the clitoris) and type II (removal of the clitoris) are common and generally performed at onset of puberty.
• Rationale: It is part of initiation into “secret societies” and viewed as an essential rite of passage into adulthood. Their primary purpose is to canalize and control powers of the spirit world. Excising the clitoris, considered a rudiment of maleness, is supposed to remove all sexual ambiguity.
• Who: FGM is practiced by all ethno-linguistic groups in Sierra Leone. Girls from all social backgrounds undergo FGM, including the educated elite. Sierra Leone has one of the highest rates in the world with an estimated 90-98%.
• Legal status: FGM is legal

Further complicating this issue is that the basic laws of “secret societies” are, first, that initiates cannot speak of society affairs to non- initiates and, second, that non-initiates must not witness society rituals. Today’s discussion skirted the issues because, as I was informed more than once, it is “taboo “ to talk about it. In a unanimous defense of FGM by a room of educated, empathetic counselors I was told, “girls are so excited because ‘initiation’ makes you a woman. You gain honor and respect”, “you beg your parents to be allowed to participate in ‘initiation’” and “without initiation you will be shunned, made an outcast and the spirits will not be on your side.” Clearly FGM is a deeply engrained, spiritual practice veiled in secrecy making it nearly impossible to change.

But is it our place to change? In social work school we are taught to embrace other cultures and recognize their inherent strength and value. When it comes to issues like FGM, I simply do not see how this is possible and I think there is general consensus about this stance among my colleagues. So as social workers, we selectively choose to accept/honor parts of cultures while dismissing and demonizing others. Who are “we”, or specifically who am I, to decide what is right and what is wrong? When in fact, my perception is as much informed by my own cultural/socialization as theirs. The extent to which culture dominates all encounters and informs our belief system is enormous.

In grappling with this issue, I tried to contemplate a comparative example in our culture. Braces, pallet expanders and headgear came to mind. These torturous devises are almost a ubiquitous coming of age for US teens. I too remember looking forward to the day I would get braces (yes, in retrospect this seems funny and I did come to hate them). I felt proud and grown up with my metal mouth. Medically, these are generally unnecessary, torture devices but culturally they are important and deemed worth the pain and enormous financial investments. Never before have I questioned the practice or viewed it as unhealthy or wrong. In fact, despite the pain, I am likely to repeat the ritual with my own children as they come of age.

Maybe the comparison between braces and FGM is a big stretch, but is it? It is important that we scrutinize our own culture and not just judge others. This does not leave me with any answers. I still feel FGM is wrong and I am still powerless to change it. I am aware of my contradictory position and feel stuck.

4 comments:

  1. OMG

    Please don't try and explain this to certain grandparents..shall we say
    I found your comparison brilliant!!
    XXOO aunt le

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am proud of you for this very logical analysis. You made a boring thing interesting to read my dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is still a stretch, Becca. I have read a lot about FMG and what it eventually does to the bodies and sex lives of women as it happens in rural India and parts of Asia too. I understand where you are coming from but I cannot be sympathetic with such a heinous practice even though I can imagine how culturally entrenched it is.
    I come from a very male-dominant society myself and I do not support any of the cultural/ religious norms I grew up with and would never subject my daughters to them.
    Did you know that many women who come to the US from such societies have US doctors operate on them secretly to at least make peeing easier?
    I do not know how this can be changed in that society. Change will have to come from within led by some strong woman/women. But I do believe it will happen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca! This is Elliot Dale's friend Ben, whom you met in the ATL. Great to hear about your travels.

    I immediately thought of cannibalism in response to your paragraph which begins "But is it our place to change?" These two issues ignite a visceral response in many, a response that even upon reflection seems justifiable by some objective standard which may not actually exist.

    While working at Planned Parenthood in 2008 I assisted on an abortion procedure for a woman who had undergone FGM. I know little of her history or her home in Africa, but the changes to her body made the procedure more painful and dangerous for her. I can predict an argument that would suggest FGM might deter women from electing to have the procedure, an argument that likely emanates from views that are as hard for me to understand as those views you describe about FGM itself.

    Thanks for posting such thoughtful comments!

    ReplyDelete