Friday, May 21, 2010

dehn ple futbol (they play soccer)

Yesterday, we put on a football game at the juvenile prison. If you remember, I posted a while back about interviewing boys from the prison. Their requests were so simple and really stuck with me, especially their desire to play football. CVT often puts on community activities. Football is a great way to build community and provide a positive outlet for one's emotions. So, I got permission from my supervisor and the prison to organize a match.

The boys are not allowed to leave the prison so they cleared the field in the back. Everyone was out working, some hacking away with machetes, others removing large rocks and debris, and a few fashioning goals out of sticks. The results were passable, although a little worrisome as most of the boys do not own shoes and thus had to play barefoot. I refereed the game. The boys were great, really great. No fights, very little fouls and not a single person questioned any of my decisions!!

We even got a few drops of rain. As most of you know, playing soccer in the rain is one of my all time favorite things. All in all a good time and a perfect afternoon.




1 comment:

  1. that's so awesome, i'm definitely jealous that you're getting to work in a prison! you're getting to do such fun things over there!

    ReplyDelete