Friday, April 16, 2010

We a it? (What do I eat?)

To all of my foodie friends, this one is for you.


crayfish at the beach served with the typical couscous and onions sauce, yum!







black tumbler, a pinkish furry seedpod hides inside that you suck on, very sweet and amusing to eat.



This is me eating an orange. They shave off the outside, you bite off the top and then suck out the juice. It is nice and clean and satisfying.



...Of course I couldn't write about food and not put cassava leaves in. Soaked in palm oil and spices, leaves (cassava or potato) over rice is our country staple.


Served in a plastic bag (Sierra Leone version of take-out), this is my FAVORITE street food and the only one that includes real vegetables! A fried cassava grain with hot sauce served with spaghetti (I pass on that), lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber, hard-boiled egg, fried plantains and a whole fish!!! Then they top it with ketchup and mayonnaise (this country has a love affair with mayonnaise that I simply cannot embrace).

Yogurt, or some relative of it. They do not have milk in this country so I am still confused on how they make it or what is in it. On a hot day, which is literally everyday here, it is the perfect snack. This delightful treat, served partially frozen, is what fills the coolers of baby carriages here (see picture from first or second blog). Bite off the corner and enjoy!!!


Lastly, here is a picture of Fatmata and her vegetable stand holding up some palm oil for effect.

2 comments: